Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No sound and missing Hardware List problems In Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilEye

MIS
Jan 17, 2002
US

One of my clients called in about having no sound. I checked the speakers plus all the connections and they were fine. I went into Control Panel => Sounds and picked one of the sounds to try to test, but the Play and Stop buttons are greyed out and can't be used no matter which sound I pick. Checked in Device Manager to make sure driver was there and it was. Driver had no conflicts with anything else, so I removed the sound driver and reloaded it. 98 reloaded sound driver fine except there were a couple of "extra" sound drivers that weren't installed when we first put Windows 98 on that computer. So I went into Add New Hardware to install these "extra" sound drivers and to my surprise there was no Win98 hardware list whatsoever. Whatever I picked video, sound, system devices, CD-ROM, keyboard, mouse, etc. everything was blank, manufacturers and models. The only way I could load any windows drivers was to unhide and manually browse to the INF directory and load the drivers that way. But the bad news is that when I reloaded all of the sound drivers the manual way it still didn't repair my no sound problem. I'm a little befuddled. Is there a way to restore the list and sound without having to reload 98? It wouldn't be so bad to reload 98 if the client I supported didn't have a $#%tload of programs installed. The PC is a Dell GX260 with integrated SoundMAX audio if that helps any.

ok, go into your control pannel > sounds and multimedia > click the "audio tab" check what the "preffered device is" is it your sound card?

if not, select it > apply > ok, try your sound.

also check the hardware tab to see if the audio codecs are there.. see how u go..

Luke

Okay I went into Multimedia => Audio tab and Playback is greyed out saying no device available. Recording, however, does have SoundMAX Audio Device. I know both should be reading SoundMAX, but Playback isn't. I also checked on the codecs and they are loaded properly. Just for s@#ts and giggles I went into the registry under Current_Users\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia (I think that's right) and Playback had no value, but Recording did. So I went ahead and typed in SoundMAX Audio Device just to see what would happen and rebooted. My entry didn't stick. I think Local_Machine overwrote my attempt to fix. I checked the MIDI tab and that's greyed out as well. Most likely because Playback has nothing in it. Anything else?

possible have a corrupted codec.. make a list of them then delete or uninstall the reinstall them again(probally a good idea to uninstall sound card first)

have you tried runing Sfc you may have a corrupted system file that is causing the hardware not to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back