Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No sound after Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredwildebeest

Programmer
Mar 7, 2003
GB
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 has broken the (non-WHQL) driver for my Zoran-based video capture card (I now get a bugcheck,a Blue Screen Of Death, and a minidump) and has also broken the latest WHQL driver for my on-board Creative SBPCI (CT5880). sbpci.sys loads successfully, and in fact I still get sound out of the synthesiser when I run the Direct Music test of dxdiag, but wdmaud.drv won't load anymore. The motherboard is a Gigabyte 7xdr+ with an APIC and ACPI. The CPU is a 1 GHz Athlon, the Northbridge is an AMD 761 and Southbridge a VIA 686B. There are no conflicts, and no IRQ's are shared. I loaded the machine as a single processor ACPI and as a standard PC and it made no difference.

SP4 has caused all sorts of havoc, you are NOT alone. Was there a 'specific' reason ie:a problem with your machine that the service pack could fix? A service pack does not have to be applied unless it addresses a specific problem that you are having in particular with your computer. This may be my own theory, but this 'theory' has worked for me since 1995. I individually apply 'security' flaws if they pertain to my situation. Again, what problem were you having prior to the SP4? This will help in tracking the SP4 to eliminate the problem now.

Very careless of me. I applied the Service Pack to get USB 2 support, and because on another machine it had seemed to help with a creeping disk corruption, which this machine may also have been prone to. Because I had had no problems on the first I didn't bother with the Archive option. More fool me

I don't think there is much hope for the Video Capture card. The bugcheck is in ntoskrnl, and the card and its drivers are old.

The Sound problem is different. The low level driver loads and works. It looks to me as though it is the Kernel Stream plumbing process that has got screwed up somehow. wdmaud.drv, wdmaud.sys and friends have all been updated, but the inf files have not. I was hoping that someone who understood all this better than me might be able to say 'Edit this and Hey Presto...'. Re-installing everything from scratch is so tedious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back