Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No SmartStart CD - configuring system partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkr

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
US
I bought a Proliant 1600, Windows NT 4.0, w/ Smart Array 221 Controller, rev. A, v3.22, firmware rev 3.22. I got it at an auction, so I don't have the Smart Start CD.

It has 5 drives, each is 4.3Gb. Drives 0&1 were the System Partition and the C drive, as a RAID1 array. Drives 2,3,4 are D drive as a RAID5 8.6Gb Logical Drive.

The problem was... Drive 0 failed. After much trouble, I downloaded the Array Configuration Utility and got it to work. I couldn't modify the 1st Array (C drive) without buying a new drive and replacing it to get it out of recovery mode. So I deleted the Array. The other array (D drive) was there. Everything seemed fine, I figured I had lost my C drive and would have to reinstall. I did not remake an array for Drive 1, but left it not in any array.

But now, when I ran the NT setup, it cannot read any of the arrays. When I get to the Create Partition screen, it shows an error message where they should be a partition. It says,

0 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on cpqarray
(Setup is unable to access this disk.)

Since I don't have the Smart Start CD, I cannot reconfigure the Array without the Array Configuration Utility running under NT. But I can't reinstall NT because there are no drives it can write on.

Any ideas?

Hi

They are a dime a dozen, so it should not be hard to get one. We just throw the older versions away and keep the Latest version. Maybe some will send you one or keep an eye out at the Markets.

Regards

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back