Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Signal Crash on my Machine running XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocco408

Programmer
Jun 7, 2004
A very random problem has been occuring on my PC lately. Many times I'll be working on my computer whether it be word processing or games or anything for that matter, I sometimes get a "Signal Lost" error that comes on my screen. First the screen goes black for a second or two, then a little yellow box with the message "Signal Lost" appears in the center. Then my computer begins rebooting itself. I've checked the connection to the plug, I know my monitor's good, What else could be causing this problem??????????

I'm open to some suggestions, Thank you.....

Open the box and remove the video adapter.
Use a pencil eraser (a clean one) and carefully scrub the gold contanct feet. Blow away the eraser crumbs and reinsert the board.

Can you try with a different monitor?

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

It should note and emphasize:

The message you are receiving is from the Monitor, and not the XP Operating system.

Fundamentally it is a video adapter and/or a cabling issue between the monitor and the video adapter.

It is not an OS issue.

With the system rebooting itself this could be a BSoD and it is just taking the system a few extra seconds to recognize the video adapter, doubtful but it is possible.

Prior to pulling the card out, take a look at the adapter and see if it appears to be in all the way. This could be a problem with the adapter not being properly seated and taking a zap here and there, causing the system to reboot and the adapter to not be immediately seen by the system.

Thank You very much everyone, you've been a tremendous help. The problem was with the video adapter. I will now close this thread.

Was the card defective, or not clean/plugged in all the way?

The video card wasn't properly installed or was shaken loose some how. thanks

I had a site with persistent video issues and was called in to "fix it." The issue was with Dell Dimension desktops, and I found that when you open the case there is a good-sized horizontal metal bar for reinforcing the card cage along the length of the case, that were routinely being discarded by the local tech staff as "being in the way."

I could not convince Dell to send me replacements for the part, but I can assure you the little bar was important to keep cards from moving slightly in the card cage over time and causing issues such as the orginal poster's. The same Dimension systems, missing the reinforcing bar, would over time have very loud fans. It got to the point that I would just cut a plastic shim and wedge it next to the power supply so that there was less movement in the case if the little reinforcing bar was missing.

I know it is a pain, but after removing the cover on the machine and doing whatever to its guts, if you have parts left over after finishing, re-open the case and put them back where the engineers decided they should be. There is likely a good reason for that part you found "in your way" while adding a new board or whatever. And it is unlikely you can order a replacement after you toss it away.

I finally told the IT head that if his in-house staff kept forgetting and throwing out this reinforcing bar I was going to order a Porsche from the nearest dealer, as thermal drift and the occasional bump and other causes would make this site of 6,000 or so workstations a personal gold mine for me in support charges.

A true tale from the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back