Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No sharing option on folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnymc

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
US
I have 2 old computers that a user wants to access from her computer in her office. She just needs to access one folder on each computer and they are both running win 98se. I added file and print sharing on the first and the option to share the folder showed up on a right click.

The other computer still does not show a sharing option in it's menu when you right click on a folder. I just cant figure it out, I added the file and print sharing service and made sure file sharing was checked. I even went into the nic card properties and made sure it was bound to file and print sharing. I looked on google and everything just says to add the file sharing service and the option would show but it does not show for me.

Anyone see anything like this before?

Enabling file sharing alone is not enough. Go to properties of c: drive, give it a new share and name and then you should see it with the other computer. Both will need to be done like that in order to access each other.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I didnt have a share tab in the C: drive. For some weird reason after turning it on the system still would not give me an option to share.

I did a search and found a similar post about this, apparently win98 sometimes gets hosed and you have to uninstall all the networking settings. I removed them all and reinstalled them and then the sharing option showed up. Weirdest thing I ever saw.

n/p, 98 can be a pain in the butt sometimes. Its still on my moms computer so I have to deal with it every now and then so I know how that goes lol. Anyways if you run into any more problems feel free to post and this forum will be glad to help as thats why its here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back