Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Session Data & Not Reporting To Job Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMarin

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
GB
hi guys,

I'm using Arcserve 6.1 SP 1997.9 on a Novell Netware network.

I was previously having trouble here:

thread478-380385 that thread I reported a problem about backups not backing everything up (or not showing evreything in the Media View of the Restore tab). After a little research and help from guys on this forum it turned out to be a database error.

I was advised to backup my Database directory, delete the original, create an empty Database directory and then copy the contents of the Emptydb directory to it.

After doing this I then got our last "successfull" backup from September and Merged its database to the fresh one.

Obviously emptying the original database means that all info on previous backups has disappeared from the Restore "Media View" tab apart from the tape that successfully merged its database.

Now once a backup has "completed" I am theoretically getting the same problem as before. But this time the Restore Media View tab doesn't show any files as having been backed up. When I click on the arrow next to the tape to expand and show its contents it just closes automatically as if there are no files backed up. Although if I go to the Activity Log report it say all files backed up succesfully (however it does say, at the end of the job, "Begin Purging Records" and "End Purging Records". Would does that mean and would this effect it.

Also now, after the suggested merge, once a job is complete (be it a scan tape, merge, restore or backup) it is not reporting the job to the Job Status area.

Hi Chris,
Can you tell me what's the version and service pack of your Novell server.
Also, In the Arcserve Manager->Server Admin, disable the "auto pruning" and "auto purging" options, so that the
purging of records won't happen.

Thanks
Arun "Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success."

Hi Chris,
Can you tell me what's the version and service pack of your Novell server.
Also, In the Arcserve Manager->Server Admin, disable the "auto pruning" and "auto purging" options, so that the
purging of records won't happen.

Thanks
ArcserveFreek "Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success."

I am told that we are running Netware 4.11, Support Pack 9.

Both Auto Pruning & Purging are turned off within the Database configuration section of the program.

Tried another backup of 10 files this morning. It all went through as usual with no problems. But again nothing was reported in the Job Status section afterwards and I cannot open the branches of the tape to show the files in the Restore - Media section.

Chris,
Can you verify in the "Server Admin->Configuration->Database Engine" for the THROTTLE SPEED setting? It should be 10 by default.
Also, can you have a look at the Sys:\Arcserve.6\Database\DBScan folder and verify for any .dtl files?

Thanks
ArcserveFreek "Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success."

Throttle Speed was set to 5. I have now changed it to 10.

There is no DBScan directory in the new Database directory that I created. I have now created one. Obviously as just created there are no .dtl files.

Thanx

Chris

Right after making those changes that you suggested (adjusting throttle Speed and creating a DBScan directory) back up is now working fine and I can now go to Restore - Media View ad select the files that I want to restore directly from the tape.

The only problem now is that ArcServe is not recording any of its activity to the Job Status screen or the Job List screen. It is however successfully record every movement in the Activity Log.

Any ideas?

Thanx

Chris

Just upping this thread to see if anyone knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back