Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No response from computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog9017

Technical User
Jul 14, 2001
US
I have boughten all new components:
ECS (Elitegroup) K7VZA Mobo
Athlon 1.333 Ghz
128mb PC133 ram
ATI Radeon 32mb graphics card (AGP)

I can not even get the computer to boot up into the bios. I have tried replacing the graphics card with other new cards, tried the ram in different slots, tried moving jumper settings around and yet i am still not getting any results. I can get the computer to turn on but after a few seconds it will give me a long continuous beep. Please help me. Thanx in advance.

We had same problem and found it was the motherboard itself. Also, did you check the BUS speed? Make sure it is set at factory default (check book on that). Mary :)

Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
Rule 2: EVERYTHING is small stuff!! X-)

Long continuous beep usually indicates RAM error. Try reseating the RAM, if this doesn't work it may be faulty, do you have another stick you can try?. You don't specify your BIOS, video card problems will also produce beeps, usually short repeated but all BIOSs are different so if the RAM proves not to be at fault you might try resaeting/replacing the video card.
Best of luck

Check all your cables as well an ide cable not seated on all the pins could cause it as well.It can be quite easy to have one of the cables set on only the one row of pins.I have done it myself not paying enough attention. This along with having cables reversed can do it as well.
Removing all but the video card and booting if it makes it to post then a problem with board cpu ram and video is eliminated.

Athlons eat power, as will a high spec graphics card.
Do you have a sufficiently powerful PSU? I have seen this problem before - a PSU upgrade to 300W did the trick.

I just went through this the other day with a friend of mines machine. His beep sounded like a European police siren that was continuous. Turned out that the motherboard was bad. We found that 3 of the voltage regulating capacitors near the CPU were bulged out and bad. You might check yours over. AGP cards are notorious for being hard to seat properly. In the past I've had that problem. You must push them down very hard almost feels like you're going to break something. Especially in a brand new never used before slot.

At the Award bios site, if that's what you have it states that the only beep code is one long and two short beeps indicating that the motherboard failed to initialize the video card. All other beeps are DRAM related.

Known beep codes for some Award Bios.

Number of beeps Meaning of error
1 DRAM refresh is not working

2 Parity circuit is not working or parity status bits are not cleared when parity is disabled.

3 First 64k memory test failure. Address line test (A0..A15) failure.

4 System timer is not counting properly.

5 Processor register/flag test failure.

6 8042 keyboard controller gate-A20 error.

7 Processor exception error encountered.

8 Display memory R/W test failure (NON-FATAL).

9 ROM-BIOS checksum error.

10 CMOS Shutdown Register R/W error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back