Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No records show up in DNS; NSLOOKUP fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2004
US
My newly migrated domain from NT4 to 2003 has DNS problems. First, no records are showing up in the DNS MMC. Also, when I perform an NSLOOKUP on a computer in the domain, It complains that it doesn't know the server or the domain. Anything I should do to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

If no records are showing up, the first thing I would check is your DHCP settings. Specifically, do you have a setting that tells your clients to register automatically, and are they pointing to the correct DNS server for AD?

If you just type nslookup with no options, does it tell you you are pointed at the correct DNS server?

I have the same problem

nslookup with or with out IP responds:

can't find server name for address 192.168.70.5
non-existant domain
default servers not available
default servers unknown

That means that your DNS server at 192.168.70.5 does not have a PTR record created in DNS.

I have set up a reverse lookup zone, but I still don't have any client A records. I have 2 interfaces on this server. The domain is using 20.20.20.0; the other interface is using a 172.16.x.x address to provide access from other domains in our organization. I want this DC and DNS server to maintain records for 20.20.20.3--just not happening.

I noticed that the _mscds did not have the server address (20.20.20.3). I added the 20.20.20.3 as the server address. Still nothing.

I also tried to uninstall DNS and reinstall. this didn't change a thing.

Any ideas...anyone. Thanks.

Let me continue. During the migration, I know I didn't migrate any services. I suspect that this is part of the problem. I am thinking that maybe I need a service location record somewhere, but I have no clue of what protocol to use (ldap, tcp, udp, etc.) or where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back