Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Python Experience - Need Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric333

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2007
US
Good Afternoon,

I have literally no experience with Python (lots of experience with Crystal and some ArcMap), but from what I understand, what I need to do is relatively easy. I suppose relatively easy is highly subjective.

We have a map that has points and a density layer that represents specific activities that have occurred. I need the map to automatically update daily (obviously via Scheduled Task that would execute the Python script) and reflect data for the prior 7 days. The data is from SDE.

I've read many articles online but they don't seem to tell me where to get started or where to go other than to use ExportTo... functions.

Is there anyone that can or is willing to please assist?

Thanks in advance!

1st I would start by recommending the official nline Python tutorial
Dont just read it , work through the examples & change them to you own requirements untill you understand them.
if you have any progrmming experience at all then this will be a day well spent If it even takes that long (dont try to skip though it would be false economy)

Untill you have a working knowledge of the language trying to process the data is going to be a non starter

from there on you will need to know the data structure of the file you export & how you plan to manipulate it

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back