Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No PowerOff After Shutdown! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

programerrusuk

Programmer
Jan 28, 2005
GB
My XP pro machine started life as a 98SE and was upgraded to XP pro. Then it would power off after the shutdown sequence. Recently I have freshly formatted the system and it will no longer power off. I have also tested on 2000 pro and it powers off there. I have come to the conclusion that it is not picking up the hardware right in XP. But if anyone has an answer to configure it alternatively it will be much appriciated.

Does the machine give you the screen which says "its now safe to switch of your computer"??? If so you must go into control panel>power options and your looking for a check box which says APM(advanced power management)put a tick in this box. and see how that goes.

Thanks, it doesnt show it is now safe to turn off, juts leaves a blank black screen, I will check the sites now and get back 2 u

Check with the computer manufacturer website. There may well be a BIOS upgrade needed for XP. Or a newer driver for the APM service.

Enabled APM (could of sworn I had already done that), gonna shutdown and find the result.

DOne, worked, i definatly remember enabling it. I might shoot myself now (lol)! Thanks alot guys, help much appriciated, stars all around

Been there, done that.

Glad you got it to work.

Best,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back