Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No POST.....plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonkypants

Technical User
May 15, 2003
GB
I have a rather large dilemma.....

After trying to fix a friends computer and swapping his parts over one by one to determine which of his parts was faulty, i have come across a problem. I plugged his graphics card into my machine and had no display. I told him to replcae his card and thought no more of it until i came to boot up my machine..... When i did i had nothing, no fans, HDD bootup, nothing (well exept the fan on the CPU jerked) so i checked another CPU in the machine and i had fans and the hard drives spun, but no display (both on board and AGP) so i changed the motherboard thinking it was a short...still have the same problem...any ideas cos this is becoming expensive....

I have seen this problem 6 times in my life, and each and every time it was a BX chipset board. 4 times with a BX and 2 times with a BX-2.

To correct the issue on the BX board, I replaced the CPU, cleared the BIOS. Then, before turning the system on hold down BOTH mouse buttons and then hit the power button.

On the BX-2 board, which was an intel, I just had to put the jumper to the Intel recovery setting and use a diskette to rewrite my BIOS with the current BIOS.

Aside from that, I would suggest clearing the BIOS, putting whatever hardware you want to use in the system back in, and then holding down BOTH mouse buttons and turning on the power.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back