Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No post, No Beeps, No video and IDE troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mess29

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
US
I'm having a problem that first started with a ECS KT-600 MOBO, i couldn't get it to post and had no video, no beeps. The front panal lights, CPU fan and system fans all work. So i RMAed it and got the PC Chips 811LU MOBO because i got one to run just fine with a AMD 1900+ a week ago. but i couldn't get this one to run. I replace the case, Power supply, Memory, cpu fan and hard drives and still nothing. i'm left to belive it's a bad cpu but there is one thing that's really puzzling me. During all this there seems to be something, also, going on with the IDE socket. the hard drive and CD-rom don't power up correctly when the IDE cable is attatched to the motherboard (the HD doesn't whirl and the activity light on the CD just stays on and doesn't flash and the tray doesn't open) but the HD and CD-rom works normal when i take the IDE cable off the MOBO. i'm using a AMD 1800+, PC2700 DDR 256MD (PNY or Kingmax), and a Mad Dog nvida FX 5200. both cases use a 350 power supply. i've reseated everything time and time again. the board ships with the CMOS jumper in the clear position so i've even fixed that. all i can say is help.

PS. I've been thur at least 6 sets of IDE cables, and the HD and CD-rom works in another system. No matter what i do the machine still won't post. with HD and CD or without HD and CD. i bought ANOTHER PC Chips 811LU mobo (the third MOBO so far) to fix this problem but i'm still getting the same thing. I don't think the IDE port could be defective on 3 different MOBOs, maybe something is causing the IDE ports to go bad but i had this problem over three cases also with 3 different power supplies.

Did you try using a different video card that's known to work ok?

If so or if that does not fix things, then place the MB on a piece of cardboard.
If that works, then the MB is shorting out when it's installed in the case. Check for a metal standoff that's installed where there's no MB hole, or a stray metal piece of metal under the MB.
If that's ok, then install paper washers(a manila folder makes good ones) between the standoffs and the MB.

If the above does not fix things, then swap out the CPU.

Did you strip the system down to the bare minimum components and try it outside the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back