Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No outside SMTP and unable to enter telnet commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

timroop

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2004
US
This has just popped up today. Clients reported that email was down. I seem to be able to send and recieve from the local network. However outside users are unable to send but can receive. I am not able to telnet to port 25 from outside. Inside telnet works but each character manually typed is rejected as an unknown command.

I get this in the Merak error log..

SYSTEM [00000000] Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:37:16 -0400 SMTP function Bind/Listen('127.0.0.1', 25) error 10048 : Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted

I have an instance of MS SMTP running on port 2025 and they have not confilicted before.

I'm looking at the router as a possibilty but the error log entry above is new as of today. I get it each time I restart the SMTP service or when the service starts as part of a regular server reboot.

Tim Roop
"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back