Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No outgoing email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all,

I'm running SIM 5.3 and trying to configure the email notifications. I have my mail server set to allow relaying for internal devices and it works for my Snap Server but not SIM. When I try to send a test email I get the following error message:

The email could not be sent: Could not connect to the SMTP host.

I double-checked the address for the mail server and it's correct. I checked the firewall on my computer and it's turned off. I did a packet sniff from my computer to the mail server and SIM isn't even trying to connect. Is there a check box or something in SIM that I need to change so SIM will allow outgoing email?

Thanks,

Joe B

Have you set up any tasks to generate emails, or snmp traps?

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

NortonES2, I haven't got that far yet. I wanted to make sure that SIM can send an email and it can't. FWIW I just installed SIM on a different computer (SIM sure uses a ton of memory) and SIM can't send an email from THAT computer either. I had my assistant try to send emails using some of his software and he can. I guess there's something in SIM that I need to tweak before it'll even try to send an email.

Thanks,

Joe B

What were you doing to generate the email from SIM? From memory it will only send email when an alert condition has been met. A quick test of connectivity is to telnet to your smtp server on port 25 from the SIM server.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

NortonES2, from within SIM in the email configuration section there's an option to send a test email. THAT is where I get the error message. Again, referring to my initial post, when I do a sniff of network traffic from my workstation there are NO packets that go to the mail server. That's why I was looking for some additional configuration tweak within SIM.

FWIW, I just removed SIM from my workstation. My memory consumption dropped from three gigs to about 900 megs and my CPU usage dropped from about 65% to about 3%. My workstation is usable once again. I think I'll look for another software option. Thanks for the input.

Thanks,

Joe B

Ok, I'm back. I'm unable to send mail from SIM but I CAN send mail from other devices. What's up with that??? AND, I finally broke down and tried the TELNET test for my mail server and I get the following error message:

C:\NMAP>telnet 192.168.2.39 25
Connecting To 192.168.2.39...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25:
Connect failed

Nothing is showing up in the event log on the server. I've tried Googling my inability to TELNET into my mail server (Exchange 2007) but nothing pops up that looks helpful. Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks,

Joe B

I finally figured out the problem. I was meandering around the server and took at look at a Mcafee log and found some entries about TELNET being blocked. I changed that setting within Mcafee and now I'm able to connect. SO, it was antivirus-related and not firewall-related. That also explains why I never found a connection attempt when I was running my packet sniffer.

Thanks,

Joe B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back