Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No options for CD???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deezul

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2003
US
Suddenly when I put in a blank cd I get the "what do you want windows to do" screen but there are NO programs in it. I used to have mediaplayer, burning software, etc all listed and they suddenly disappeared for no reason. Any way to fix this so I have at least media player and some burning software? I have no idea how this happened

Try folder options general tab "restore defaults"

Autorun for CDrom not functioning...
thread779-639841

See if this helps. If not try System Restore to get back to when it worked.

well it is autorunning thats not the prob. but when it autoruns the menu to choose what program to use opens up and its blank now

Right clicking the cd drive icon and properties-autoplay
doesn't it list the actions . Is this empty
for e.g music cd , blank cd etc.

If it is there might be some other corruption.

"well it is autorunning thats not the prob. but when it autoruns the menu to choose what program to use opens up and its blank now"

It is this menu that we are responding to, not any problem with the CD starting to spin.

What happens if you put a CD in that is not blank and has some files already on it?

Have you tried the Erase function (sort of like formatting the CD) to make sure your CD (the blank ones) are readable in XP?

cd is readable but i basically have to cancel the "blank" menu and then start it manually. I'll try different cd types today and see what happens.

well, its only doing this for blank cd's. I right click on cd drive properties goto autoplay and say "let me chhose" but there are NO programs in that list. For music cd's etc there is and there used to be 2-3 burn programs on the list too. Is there any way of repopulating the list for blank cd type?

it gets strange now. I noticed that under "my comp" it says CDRW drive but when I put a blank cd in it switched to say "cd drive".........never noticed that before......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back