Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No one in Network Neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix7

Technical User
Nov 27, 2000
US
I am running R.H. 6.2 as server. All Win9x users on the lan are working great. All systems show up and can share resources with each other and the server.
My problem is with dial in users, my ppp and pap is working great. No problems pinging the server once connected or bringing up a Telnet box. But the problem is the server does not show up in Network Neighborhood and the dial in users can not ping any other user logged into the server. This is probably some simple setting that I have over looked could someone please help me out.
Yes I have Log onto network option checked in D.U.N on the Win boxes.
Thanks, Chris
clwebb@localnet.com

hi matrix7,

r u saying a) that users logged in from ouside on the rh6.2 box can't finger/talk with users on the same box? or b) they can't ping ur internal ip addresses from b.1) telnet session on the server b.2) from their own m/cs which donot belong to ur network?

a) -> should be directly possible. i.e they can certainly finger users on the same m/c. there is no special setting for this.
b.1) again once they r on ur internal network (telnet'ed to rh6.2 box )they should be able to ping if ur internal users once telnet'ed to the same box can do so..
b.2) unless ur running some sort of firewall to allow this,
it is not possible.. and i don't think it is easy to get it working in (extenal) windoz network neighbourhood boxes! even if internal windoz on the lan can 'see' each other on in their network neighbourhood ...

i am assuming a lan network which is allowing ppp dial in thru the rh6.2 box..

tell me if i understood the problem correctly or is there something more... a n/w diagram could be helpful..

hth,
shail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back