Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Normal startup on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronano

Technical User
Apr 19, 2011
ME
Noticed have no possibility to select Normal startup on Windows 7 Ultimate. When try to select Normal startup from Selective, System Configuration after searching solution is stopped and program closed.
System Configuration works normally, msvcrt.dll is present in System 32, only when try to select Normal startup is stopped for unknown reasons.
Try to find solution on the Net , but since now without success.
Please help

I would do the following:
1. Try LAST KNOWN GOOD configuration choice
2. Test hard drive with bootable manufacturer's diagnostic tool
3. Boot with Windows 7 DVD and run a CHKDSK c: /f on whichever drive ends up being your main drive (it may NOT be c:)
4. SFC /Scannow from Windows 7 DVD Link
5. Scan with bootable malware scanner
Link
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

- Point 1 And 2. Didn’t help
- After boot from Win 7 DVD and try to run CHKDSK f/ , but is write protected
-Try to scan with Windows Defender Offline, but this Microsoft tool can not be updated
- Tomorrow will try SFC /SCANNOW from Win 7 DVD

SFC /SCANNOW from Win 7 DVD done.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt file but was unable to fix some of them. Log file saved in Windows/Log/CBS/CBS

I would try the DISM commands booted to the Win7 DVD.
Link
Link
Link

Thanks goombawaho for assistance.
Would you kindly check CBS file from last sfc /scannow I attach here.
Run DISM for me is a little bit complicated, but after your revert I'll try to run at least this one from link No.3

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=88e350c0-96c6-4366-8f4b-b4db54a411a7&file=CBS.log
I don't know how to read the file to get any meaningful information out of it. I think your almost at the point of reloading unless someone else has a good idea. Sorry.

It’s O.K. After reading Links from your post I am interested to apply Bleckfield’s solution from Link no.3 .Would like to hear from you if this solution is applicable for Win 7, as in the thread is mentioned Win 8.1
Amy how my machine is working well , no problems noticed since now, except impossibility to select Normal startup.

As far as I know, it is applicable to Windows 7. Couldn't hurt the situation!!

After run DISM received Error 87.
By search on Net found DISM is applicable for Win 8 and not for Win 7- System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821)-SURT is right hotfix.
Installed a/m hotfix , reboot , but no Normal startup again.

I'm sorry, but I'm out of ideas. I think it's better to reload Windows at this point.

One last thing - try a clean boot. Turn off everything that is NOT needed for startup and then see how it behaves. Then you can turn things on again and reboot (about 5 services at a time) to find out which service is killing the regular mode startup.
Link

If it won't boot normally with clean boot, you have to reload.

Clean boot not solved issue. Follow from A to Z procedure. But problem remain.
What is interesting, before all this actions, I ‘ve done Windows Repair using installation DVD , and even this didn’t help to fix this .

I think you are at the end of the line!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back