Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No network neighborhood in Windows 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlien

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
I am attempting to add two Win95 computers to an existing network consisting of two PCs running WinXP and Win2000. The problem is that there is no network neighborhood icons on either Wini95 PC. Additionally, I had problems installing the NIC's to the systems but now the NIC's do appear on the device manager list without icons indicating that there is any problem and it also says that the hardware is working properly. Also I have lights on the NIC and on the router indicating that they are being recognized at 100mbs transfer. However, I cannot see other computers, nor can I share the internet connection with the Win95 computers. They appear to have no connectivity at all. There is no Network Neigborhood icon on the desktop to attempt to configure or troubleshoot the problem. I don't understand that. Shouldn't there be one? And when I go into Control Panel-Network nothing happens. I click on the Network icon inside control panel and I get no response. It doesn't open a seperate "network" window at all. Seems as if the software isn't recognizing anything concerning a network. Has anyone ever heard of this. It seems so big as to indicate that it is something simple and not an erroneous problem. I have networked a fair amount of computers but never with Win95 OS. Always 98 or higher. Can anyone help with this?

It's pretty much the same as a 98 PC.

First, if you have no Network Neighborhood icon on the desktop. Then you have no network.

You need to go to Properties in the Network Neighborhood.

My guess is there's no nic showing there. You need to add a nic and then a client and if your going to talk to any w2k or xp PC's then you'll also want to add TCP/IP.

If you have a DHCP server, then just setup IP for DHCP. If you are using all static IP's then you'll need to find one not in use and assign it to the w95 PC.

Once all this is in place you can test it by pinging the other PC's on the network. You can do this even if you can't see any PC's in Network Neighborhood.

HTH

tgus

If you have a NIC in the network settings, then this issue could be the "Client" you are using. In order to "Network" you will need the Microsoft Network client installed and set as the "Primary Logon" in the Network Properties Icon in the Control panel.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Okay, since I have no Network Neighborhood and hence no network then the problem lies with the nic install. Thank you guys for the response. Essentially, I was wondering if there was something different about 95 from 98. Your helpful advice lets me know that this is only a hardware problem with the Netgear nic.
Again, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

atlien

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back