Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No network access from/to Windows machine in DMZ 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hd2

Technical User
Sep 1, 2002
CA
Hi Everyone,

I'm not 100% sure what the appropriate forum to post this in would be, as it involves two different operating systems, how It's the Windows side that is causing my grief, so I opted to post here first.

I have a mail server and a web/FTP/OpenFire server (both Windows 2003 r2) that I would like to sit on the DMZ side of our gateway.
Each having a public IP, but firewalled by the gateway.

I have configured a network card in our gateway for the DMZ role and given it the IP address of 66.79.254.64 subnet: 255.255.255.248

I can setup my OSX laptop (running Apache web server to test) with 66.79.254.65 255.255.255.248 and gateway of 66.79.254.64, I set the DMZ firewall to allow incoming on port 80 and all is well.
I can see the apache web server from any computer or data cell phone when I put in the 66.79.254.65 IP.
I can also get to and browse the internet from the OSX laptop.

Disconnect my OSX laptop, connect my working Windows 2003 web server (also running Apache) give it the same IP that the OSX machine previously had... and... nothing.

If I try to ping from the 2003 windows server back to the gateway (254.64), I get "destination specified is invalid"
I can't see out to the internet from it either.

I'm at a loss as to why it works perfectly with my OSX laptop, but any windows machine I connect can't see squat?
I've tried with a test XP machine as well, same error.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Reviewing your subnet info, for the settings you have applied the valid hosts that are applicable to your subnet are in the range of 66.79.254.65 - 66.79.254.70. It could be possible that OSX has no problem with you using .64 as a valid host (Unix based OSs are more forgiving of this) but Windows will choke. Try using an IP in the specified range instead.

I'd agree. Normally the .64 address wouldn't be a valid address to assign a Windows host. Give your Windows host the .66 address and see if it behaves differently.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Hello itsp1965 and ShackDaddy,

Thank you both for your replies.
That is exactly what the problem was.
As soon as I made the gateway .66 and assigned addresses up from there everything worked perfectly.
Boy is my face red.

I really appreciate both of your help!

Members on this forum have helped me out a few times now and have always been very friendly.
I am making a donation to the forum after I post this reply as a "thank you".

Thanks again for your help!
Take care
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back