Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No NDR for messages exceeding size limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravTrav

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2002
US
Hello All,

When users from external domains send messages that exceed our size limitations, they do not receive an NDR. Obviously this poses a problem since neither side knows that the message failed. I believe I remember reading somewhere that the sending server handles NDRs for message size limits...can anyone confirm that and elaborate, or if that is not the case, give me a little guidance on why these may not be working?

Thanks Much,
Travis

Travis,

By default, no NDR and also the Out of Office replies are sent to the outside world.

If you want this, modify the following properties:

From Exchange system manager / Global Settings / Internet Message Formats / Advanced Tab /

select allow Out of Office responses
select allow non-delivery reports

One remark though...
If you get spammed to non-existing email addresses, your exchange server will try to reply with an NDR to this spam address as well (mostly non-existing), which could have your queues being filled up with badmails. Have a tight look at your queues than to see if there are some bogus domains. It's oke to remove the mails in these queues.

Regards,

Peter

These settings were already enabled, but I am still having no luck. Any other ideas?

Yes, Im running Surf-Control email filter seperate of exchange with it functioning as our SMTP gateways, however it is not filtering any outbound mail, only inbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back