Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No NAL on Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdudek

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2002
AU
I am currently launching NAL by using the login script. I would like to be able to set up some sort of conditional so that the wireless notebooks do not execute NAL as it runs too slowely over wireless and i don't like the idea of users distributing apps via wireless anyway. It has been suggested that I should execute NAL directly by placing it in the startup of the computer rather than via the login script and simply don't add it to the wireless notebooks. Problem is that if I do this NAL will no longer update on the workstations and there must be a way to do this via the login script. I have also toyed with the idea of changing the environmental varaibles of the machine i.e. set state=NONAL and then adding a conditional to the login script such as IF "STATE"="NONAL EXIT prior to launching NAL on the next line. I have'nt had much luck with this method. Any ideas???

Tom Dudek

Put the wireless devices on their own subnet.

I have wireless installs at two of my client sites that use ZEN 3.2 We also did not want to run NAL on the wireless connections; only run NAL when the notebook is on a wire. To make this work I put the wireless devices on a separate subnet. Then in my login script I had this wireless subnet exit the script before it would execute NALEXPLD.EXE

This allows me to exclude those wireless devices, but not not exclude the laptop or the user him/her self. So the users don't get the NAL when they are roaming around wireless, but do get it when they plug in to RJ45 or log into anotehr PC.

This also works in IPX, just make a new IPX network and exclude that network from running NAL.

You can also go the other way and be very specific as to which subnet will run NAL or what specific workstation will run NAL. Brent Schmidt CNE, Network +
Senior Network Engineer
provogeek@hotmail.com
East Bay, California; USA

If you're notebooks are running the Novell Client, there's an environment tab which lets you specify up to 3 variables. You could enter "NONAL" into the "%2" variable, then in your login script at the point where you launch nal or nalexplorer, you'd say IF %2="NONAL" GOTO END.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back