Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No modems seen in device manager after service pack 2 install, XP home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2003
US
After installing service pack 2 a customer of mine gets a DUNS error when dialing. after closer examination i noticed that the modem was not seen in the device manager or the modems control panel HOWEVER it was seen during boot by the bios. After moving slots I got to card to redetect, however after it said all was done and ready the modem was STILL GONE!! It was not listed in the control panel or the device manager.

I have since removed service pack two and tried 3 different modems all of different make and model. the machine detects them and then poof, they are gone. Event viewer shows nothing.

Please help!!

Larry

Have you tried system restore to restore the system to a date prior to the sp2 install?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Try removing all instances of the modem. Remove the modem. Boot, uninstall any setup program from add/remove programs. Boot to safe mode, go to modems, remove any from there. In safe modem too, remove any modems listed in device manager.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Matt J.

That is the problem, no modems show up anywhere at all. all software was removed for all modems and a new modem installed and still nothing. Device manage in normal and safe modes shows nothing at all even though there is currently 2 modems installed. even when only one modem was installed still nothing and even with 4 different modems installed individually.

I am about ready to just reformat the machine and start over.

Sounds like that may be the next step. I tend to create backups using NTBackup, to get a copy of the system state periodically. I get the registry only, not the system protected files. This way, I can restore the registry when something goofy hits.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back