Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Menu to setup Remote IPL

Status
Not open for further replies.

tektipsaix

Technical User
Mar 4, 2011
ZA
Hi

I need to restore a mksysb image onto a P630 server (no HMC connected). When the system starts up, the first menu I see is "Select Install/Boot Device" menu, and not the menu where I can setup the Remote IPL. I have upgraded the firmware to 3R080425, and the system has currently AIX5.2 installed.

Any idea how to get to the "Setup Remote IPL" menu ?

Thanks!

Enter this at the command prompt when booted up in AIX 5.2.

bootlist -m normal ent0 bserver=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx client=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gateway=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx hdisk0

Verify ent0 is the correct network interface, adjust as needed.

Where bserver is the nim server IP, client is the IP of the client server and Gateway is the gateway of the client server.

hdisk0 if this is a valid boot disk.

This will skip the SMS menu and try to boot off the network automatically.

Just verify all looks good with a "bootlist -m normal -o

seems like you should be reading this book:

Page 224:
To do a one-time boot of the network adapter attach to the NIM server network, do the following:
1. Exit to the SMS Main screen.
2. Select Select Boot Options.
3. Select Install or Boot a Device.
4. On the Select Device Type screen. select Network.
5. Set the network parameters for the adapter from which you want to boot.
6. Exit completely from SMS. The system starts loading packets while doing a bootp from the network.

Have a good read, and try the other suggested options, and then please let us know of any problems or how you solved the problem.

HTH.

Thanks All!!

I just shutdown completely again and started. It came back and allowed me to enter the remote IPL parameters.. Cannot explain why..

TNX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back