Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no matching symbolic information found

Status
Not open for further replies.

soranz

Programmer
Oct 20, 2008
Hi,

I've developed a MFC program under VS 6.0. My debugger -->was<-- working fine and I've used it often for my project. Then, one day, the errors below appear and they prevent me from using the debugger. I know that I get these warnings because the OS symbols arn't installed (a few of them loaded fine).

I must have pressed something wrong but as far as I can remember, I didn't touch anything that should mess with the debugger. So, I don't know how to fix it and I need to be able to use it.....

Code:
Loaded 'ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded symbols for 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MFC42D.DLL' 
Loaded symbols for 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSVCRTD.DLL' 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded symbols for 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSVCIRTD.DLL' 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\comctl32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTF.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTFIME.IME', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\oleaut32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. 
The thread 0x718 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Thank you kindly!!

Are you using a Debug or Release build?

Did you install the "NT Debug Symbols"? Maybe they got messed up, so try installing them again.

I am using the debugger in VS 6.0. As far as I know, it automatically sets up a debug build to find/fix problems. Then, I use the release build by clicking "!Execute [...]" to test the changes.

I've dl'ded the 250+mb retail package from Microsoft for PDB symbols but I don't know how to install them...

From their website I've followed the 13 steps that come after:

"If you are using the Microsoft Developer Studio® Visual C++ environment: "

I still have the same problem...

Somewhere it said that VS probably won't find the symbolic information even if it has the COFF.

Thanks again

soranz said:
I am using the debugger in VS 6.0. As far as I know, it automatically sets up a debug build to find/fix problems. Then, I use the release build by clicking "!Execute [...]" to test the changes.
No, it executes the debug build if you have "Debug" selected in the pull-down box on the toolbar. If that's what you have, it will run the debug build no matter how you run it. You need to change the pull-down box to "Release" to create a release build with no debugging info and optimizations enabled. If you do some reading in the help, you can find out how to add your own custom build targets other than "Debug" & "Release", but those two are always given to you for free when you create a new project.

I'm not sure why you needed to download the Debug Symbols? It should be right there on your VC++ 6.0 CD.

No, it executes the debug build if you have "Debug" selected in the pull-down box on the toolbar. If that's what you have, it will run the debug build no matter how you run it. You need to change the pull-down box to "Release" to create a release build with no debugging info and optimizations enabled. If you do some reading in the help, you can find out how to add your own custom build targets other than "Debug" & "Release", but those two are always given to you for free when you create a new project.

I'm sorry. This isn't the problem. When I debug I select "Debug" in the pull-down box on the toolbar (I should have explicitly said that too in last post).

I guess I'll have to reinstall the whole thing. I just thought there was something that I did to cause the debugger to stop functioning properly.

Thanks anyway.

Those aren't errors: they're just warnings. Basically it is saying that the .pdbs of the .dlls cannot be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back