Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no major device numbers available (need help asap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itfellow

MIS
Jan 6, 2004
US
Hey guys,

I inherited an SCO 3.2v5.0.5 server a couple of months ago and I'm not all that great with Unix yet, so I need some advice. This system is down and I barely know where to begin.

Here are the details:

I tried to change the IP address assigned to the NIC (Intel Pro 100B) a couple of weeks ago to fit the network standard, but when I submitted the change (IP address only) the process errored out with "device table overflow 1024" and changed my TCP connections from 1024 to over 250,000, and the TTy number from 160 to 32, all default values I presume. I could not change them back because rebuild always failed with "master table overflow" or "device table overflow".

I tracked it down to an mdevice file that has 1024 entries, but I haven't figured out yet how to determine what to get rid of.

Fast Forward to today. I had a problem with end users connecting to this server through a AccelePort concentrator, so I ran through some troubleshooting with Digi support and ended up rebooting the server. However, when the server came up, all connection functions (inetd, telnetd, RPC) errored out with "protocol not supported" messages in syslog. Server is up,no one can connect remotely. I thought I would re-install TCP/IP, but trying to install again errored out with "there are no major device numbers available".

Where in the world do I begin? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks PHV, but this article didn't do anything for my situation. I ran through the suggestions for system health check that were in there, but the rest of the article applies strictly to upgrades.

I'm still at the same place.

Have you checked the socket issue ?

Hope This Help
PH.

What do you mean by "check the socket issue"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back