Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Logon servers available when accessing a Share in another domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRSOLO

Technical User
Jan 28, 2003
IE
Hello
Appreciate if anyone can advise if they have seen the following error and have a fix:
"There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request"
I get this when I try to access a Shared folder from the "Run" command that is in the parent domain and I am logged on at a client in the child domain.
I can ping the server in question by IP address and also by hostname. The DNS setup appears fine and have already flushed the DNS cache. Nothing has been changed in terms of the default trusts active directory wise. Have also tried removing the client from the domain and re-adding it.
Appreciate if anyone can suggest a path of tropubleshooting.
Thanks

I removed from the domain, deleted the Computer from Active Directory and re-joined the Computer to the domain as you recommended, still gives the same result however.

Hi Code666
No unfortunately no headway on this so far

I'm not sure how much this will apply to your problem, but I have seen this problem a few domains within my own single domain (Win XP clients, Win 2000 DC) and it seems to be a communication issue with the DC of one kind or another.

It seems only to happen to those clients that had multiple DNS server entries (one for internet DNS, one for DC). Even though I could ping the DC just fine from the client, it would behave as though it couldn't connect when it came to domain verification. I made the DC a WINS server and have added it as a WINS server on the clients, and I can't recall having seen this error any time recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back