Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No logon screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus

Programmer
Mar 22, 2001
CA
I reconfigured the pam.conf file but I must have made a mistake because I can no longer get the logon prompt. Anyone have any ideas how I can get back into the Hp to fix the pam.conf file without having to reinstall.

I would imagine that if you have a second system you could remove the drive from the non functional system and install it as an secondary drive on the working system.
You should beable to mount it without creating a new file system. Edit your file save it and then put the disk back in the bad unit.

Have you used the recovery CD?. You can open a shell in your system with this CD. Another thing you can try is to start HP-UX in single user mode. In the PDC run "hpux -i s" and see if it works before using the CD

Perhaps I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time), BUT you didn't say if you were on a network or not. Some things to try; Telnet, rlogin, remsh to the box in question and do a repair on the file useing VI. You could also try to dump a correct version of the file to the box via rcp or ftp. You also didn't say if it was just CDE not starting OR the actual unix login. BTW does the box that you are working on have a console port that you could plug a terminal into?????

You can try booting into maintenance mode
hpux -lm at the ISL prompt
activate the root volume group and do mount -a
then proceed to fix your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back