Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No local printer mapping with Terminal Services ActiveX

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGTurner

Programmer
Mar 2, 2003
US
I am battling printing issues with terminal services.

Servers are Win2K, clients vary but for discussion purposes assume 2KPro.

I can access the server via a web page and the Advanced client - the activeX download.

I can access the server via the terminal services installed client.

Win2K client PC, using the ActiveX client, I get no printer mapping. Local printers do not show up, looking at sever console, add printer, ports TSxxx mappings to clientPCname don't show up, printing doesn't operate.

Same client PC, now using the installed client, all local printers show up as expected. Server console shows appropriate ports available for the client.

We liked the web version because of the ease to deploy for users and the idea that we can wrap it in https for some level of encryption - but we are now getting to users who need local printers ( ones that are not networked, and unavailable to server )

Is this behavior normal? What I conclude - perhaps incorrectly - is that printer mapping is not supported through the web/activex client - could that be possible?

I have been digging through forums for a couple of days now and don't see any evidence of others seeing that behavior - is there something I have missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back