Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No license for microsoft tab control

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyoProgrammer

Technical User
May 13, 2005
US
This has me very bewildered! I wrote a vb5 program a couple years ago on my laptop. I have compiled it many times and edited it many times using the vb5 editor. I upgraded to Windows 10 on that computer and was still able to use and edit the program. That laptop had some issues a few weeks ago and so I had to buy a new computer. I loaded this program as well as all the others I have written in vb5 and was able to continue as I had with the old computer with all the other programs. With the one program where I was using the tab control, I keep getting a message that I do not have a license to use this control! I have done research and not come up with a viable solution to the problem. The compiled .exe program will work and uses the tabs just fine but I cannot load and edit the uncompiled version of the program. Is there a solution to this dilemma? I am at my wits ends as to what to do and am completely baffled because this all worked fine on the other laptop working in the same environment. Please help if you can!

You completely reinstalled VB5 on the new computer? And do you have the same problem with any of the other controls from the common control library, such as ListView?

Yes, I did a new install on the new machine. No, I am not having trouble with any other controls on any other of the programs I have written. This is the only program that uses tabctl32.ocx but I had to transfer and register comdlg32.ocx and msflxgrd32.ocx and they worked just fine. I can use the VB5 editor on all my programs except for the one which uses the tab control. Thanks for responding, I am a little desperate!

VB5 has no support at all at any level. That doesn't mean you can't use it, but you're on your own even more than VB6 programmers are.

"Transferring and registering" stuff is a bad symptom. It's a lot like trying to fix your car yourself by raising the hood and bashing at things with a sledgehammer. You almost certainly failed to install VB5 properly. The obvious first possibility is that the installation didn't run elevated.

You might be able to uninstall VB5 and then reinstall with elevation. You might still have misplaced crud lying around but new copies should get written to the proper locations and it should all work.

Ah, so, the mangling of this thread seems to mean that my last question has been deleted.

So - does the problem also occur with a brand new project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back