Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Licence for Access... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2002
GB
I have a problem, which the only current solution we have is to rebuild my machine, and I want to avoid that at all costs!

Here's what happened:

1) Had Access 97 on my machine, working fine.
2) One of our consultants who has Access 2K called with a problem, so I installed 2K, after uninstalling 97 first.
3) After solving here problem, I uninstalled ACcess 2k, and installed 97 again.
4) Upon starting it I getthe error message:
"Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine." No more no less!
5) I uninstalled Office 97 completely, ran RegClean, and rebooted.
6) Reinstalled Office 97, but still the same error when trying to run Access.

It is mission critical that I have a working Access 97 on my machine, hence the need to rebuild if we cannot find a solution. I'm sure there is a registry setting somewhere, but I have searched and searched, and spent 4 hours the other day trying to locate something to no avail.

Can anyone who has had the problem before help? This has happened on other machines apparently (nice to be told beforehand!), so if you wanted to reproduce the error on a machine, it should not be difficult.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Will

Thanks Marc,

I am just giving the MS Article a go... I searched and couldn't find that one myself, so I am much appreciative. However, I tried the solution att he following site:

And had no luck. If I install MS Office without the /y switch it works fine. With the /y switch it falls over right after the customised install screen... :(

I'll post back once i have tried some of the things in the MSKB article.

Will

Whey hey! Th KB article helped! Problem solved. There was a lot of info on that page, so I will simply past here the steps I did to make it work for anyone else with the problem:

1. Close all programs that are included with Office.
2. On the Start menu, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
3. In the Named box, type hatten.ttf.
4. In the Look in box, type C:\Windows\Fonts.

NOTE: The path to the Fonts folder may be different on your computer.
Click Find Now to start the search.

5. If Hatten.ttf is not found, try searching for Haettenschweiler.ttf. Haettenschweiler is the full name of the Hatten font.
6. Under Name, right-click the hatten.ttf file, and then click Rename on the shortcut menu that appears.
7. Change the name of the file to hatten.xxx. If you receive a prompt that says that changing the extension may cause the file to become unusable, click Yes.
8. Minimize, but do not close, the Find dialog box.
9. On the Start Menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
10. In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
11. In the Add/Remove Program Properties dialog box, click the Install/Uninstall tab, and then select Microsoft Office 97, Professional Edition in the program list.
12. Click Add/Remove to run Office Setup in Maintenance Mode.
13. In the Microsoft Office 97 Setup dialog box, click Reinstall.
14. After the reinstallation is finished, click the Find dialog box on the taskbar to maximize it.
15. Under Name, right-click the hatten.xxx file, and then click Rename on the shortcut menu that appears.
16. Change the name of the file back to hatten.ttf.

Microsoft Access should now be properly registered.

Will
[morning]

Great news. I must admit I did look at the article and wonder if it was that particular font or whether it would work with others. I then found myself questioning why deleting a font should make a re-install of Access work! Good old Microsoft!
Marc

It's the font Access uses in its default theme...if that's any help.

And Will, get your head out of your ink bottle (LOL!!!). I did a search right here for "no license" and found 3 threads about it. Searching first is always the fastest and easiest.

:)

Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros
Coming soon: wX

Hey Dreamie, don't give Will too hard a time. Remember that Shakespeare was English, so Will probably spelt 'license' the 'correct' way. :)
Marc

Will
I had this prob once so that's why I checked out the thread to see if you'd been pointed in the right direction. As you have and you've got your solution I would think awarding a star to Marc could well be appropriate here!

Marc, Dreamboat
before you start picking on those of us on this side of the pond spare a thought for anyone who wants to learn something like vb here. Not only have we to learn about objects, properties & methods but also the 'English' used to describe them!!!

"If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended..."
That I'm only kiddin'
"Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends"

;-)

If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong? [ponder]

I'll happily accept a star if anybody feels free to award one.
Loomah, BTW, I'm over your side of the pond too, hence the reason I spotted license not licence. I think it's because I pop into shops with this on the door (preceded by the word 'off') quite a bit! %-)
Marc

Oddly enough I already did award a star back when I got it fixed. Seeing as it doesn't seem to have registered I have just done it again... Star where it's due I always say! ;)

Thanks to all the colourful entries to the thread. (note spelling...)

I am guilty of a spot of writing from time to time, though I would not pretend to appraoch such status as my namesake! ;)

Thank you all,

Will
[morning]

Interesting... I have now clicked to award a star about four or five times, and to no avail... the pop up window comes up and I click the link, then a Thank You for voting message comes up with a Close link, which I press... but I see no star! :(

Perhaps this will help:

star.gif

Will

PS - If you all happen to know anyone who likes antique teddy bears, my father-in-law just ahd his first web-site launched... (Okay, so I built the site... :)

I had a similar problem just last week-- first error 429 (ActiveX can't create object), then when trying to reinstall Office I got your error. I used KB article #292054 and used method 3(rename DAO folder in c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared)

Thanks Dreamie, you really are a star.

Thanks Will for trying. BTW Will, would you like any comments about the site? If so, should I send them to the webmaster address mentioned on the site?

Marc

Hi Mark,

That would be nice. You may not see any changes soon, as I am doing 3 Open University courses ( the same time, and am sooo busy. But I am new to web development, so any comments will be welcome! ;) As long as you can be constructive... ;)
I did all the graphics, email, database... it was a long job considering I had no previous experience. (started August last year!)...

Thanks,

Will

OK Will,
I'll have a look sometime over the weekend and e-mail you as the webmaster.
Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back