Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No letter repeat on keyboard 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crustyoldbloke

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
GB
Up until the last reinstall of Win2K, my keybopard operated quite normally, but now the letter repeat function has become "disabled" and I have to keep pressing the key to repeat a letter or space or delete etc

The control panel is quite normal and has the function "enabled" with the repeat rate set to short. Any ideas as to what happened, and better still, how do I fix it?

Kind regards

COB

Have a look under Control Panel > Accessibility options > Filter keys > Settings > Settings again > make sure tat "No keyboard repeat" is not selected
(This is just my gut reaction...you may need to snoop around these Accessibility tabs for other possibilities, but...)

Tired of waiting for an answer? Try asking better questions. See: faq222-2244

Nice try, but not the one I am looking for. If I play around with the Accessibility options, I can get the keyboard to repeat at a slow rate, but not like it was/should be.

Any other ideas Carr/anyone?

Kind regards

COB

Ok. If you can get it to repeat, aleit slow via Accessibility options, now how about under Keyboard within Contorl Panel, setting repeat delay to "Short" and repeat rate to "Fast"?

Tired of waiting for an answer? Try asking better questions. See: faq222-2244

Again, my friend, no cigar. I have already explored the keyboard setting in control panel and my registry reflects the fastest settings, but nothing happens when I keep any key depressed.

I believe that there may be a different system file perhaps for my standard keyboard that used to work just fine.

Kind regards

COB

Hi there,

My experience tells me that you may need to enter the bios to turn on the TYPEMATIC RATE SETTING. I may be wrong but it may be disabled and need to be enabled. Some may say this deals with DOS only but I have seen Windows react differently to various bios settings depending on the computer so it won't hurt to try anyway.

When your system is powering on, press what ever key your bios uses to allow you to enter your bios (DEL, CTRL-ALT-ENTER, F1, F2, F10 - one of these usually work). Different motherboards have various options but the one you are looking for is TYPEMATIC RATE SETTING. If "disabled", enable it, modify the rate and delay values if you want, save settings and exit.

WARNING - changing some bios settings can render a system unbootable. Be very careful about what you change. If you think you may have changed something by mistake, simply power off the computer and any changes you have made are gone.

Hope this helps!

Willy

Well Willy, you were right about the typematic rate settings being disabled. Sadly even with them enabled, I can not get my keyboard to repeat a letter with a single press of a key.

I'll have to do some research but in the meantime and for my friend Carr, who didn't get a cigar, have a star. And you too Willy for pointing me to the BIOS, I hadn't noticed that setting there before.

Kind regards

COB

Hello Everyone

Suddenly, and for no apparent reason, my keyboard is now working correctly. I've taken a look around hoping to find a change somewhere but can't find one.

Is there a history/diagnostic file somewhere?

Kind regards

COB

Alas! Such is the way of of Windows! My experience as a Windows / Mac technician has shown me that some things are not easily explained. The almighty "code-warriors" are to be held responsible in my opinion. In some cases, new software installations are the cause of some problems also.

However, a good practice to adopt is to rid your system of unecessary files (.tmp, .bak, etc...) and run a spyware scanner once a week. Lavasoft's AD-AWARE, SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY and BAZOOKA SPYWARE TOOL are my three favorites. And last but not least, UPDATE YOUR VIRUS SOFTWARE!

Take care and have a great summer!

Willy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back