Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

scklifasovskiy

Programmer
Nov 12, 2012
CA
Hi all,
I have an internet in my other house near the city. When I don't show up often enough there -- i always disconnect the power.
Then i am coming back, put power back -- and all is back up.
However, this time around -- "Web ... couldn't be found".

This is what I see:

1. Modem is on and shows DSL signal (green)
2. Router is connected to modem, shows green on internet indication, and both computers that are connected.
3. Computer is connected to router and shows green light under it indicating network is connected.

When I go to browser and try to connect to any page -- "Web ... couldn't be found"
If I go to Control Panel and try to trouble shoot -- tells me I have problems with my modem (what problems???? all is green")...and suggests to reset. I did reset multiple times -- but didn't help.

Any suggestions please???

Likely your IP stuff is munged on the computer. Can you ping the router? How do you get IP address on the computer?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Do a complete cold boot. Turn off your modem, router, and computer. Then turn the devices on in the following order:

1. Modem - wait until it is showing as fully booted (all lights on that should be on) before proceeding.
2. Router - again, wait until all lights that should be on are on before proceeding.
3. Computer - once it is booted log on and then go to your CMD (or CLI) prompt and type: ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back