Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DASLG

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2002
US
I just got Win2k with AD running on the network(in mixed mode). We just received a new server "Svr06". This new server is already joined with the network with a static ip address and the address of the current DNS server(local. It does not get an internet connection. I have pinged internally and no problem but, of course, when i ping a web site or our ISP's DNS servers it times out. The local DNS server lists the new server in the forward lookup zone with the correct address so I really don't know what went wrong.

Have you included a gateway for the server ?

"ipconfig /all" should have a default gateway for your network.

Yes, I have a gateway entered. All the other servers can connect just fine, so there must be something i'm missing.

You say when you ping a web site , it times out. Does it time out showing an IP address, and is that IP address correct? Or, does it time out saying unknown host?

Try doing a route print on the new server, then the same on a functioning server and compare what you get. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950) English dramatist, critic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back