Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No internet access on officeconnect adsl router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummermoose

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
GB
Hi!

Bit of background first:
I have a network with approx 30 computers connected - most Win2000 pro, a few Winxp pro and a Windows 2000 Server

To connect to the internet I use a 3COM officeconnect adsl wireless 11g firewall router.

When I first configured the router I had to set it to assign IP addresses, otherwise the internet wouldnt work.
This has been working fine until recently the router has been freezing, causing the internet access to stop and also no IP addresses being assigned, therefore network programs cannot be accessed.

Right, to the problem,
I want to let Windows 2000 Server assign the IP addresses and use the router to access the internet (and use VPN in the future).
When the server assigns the IP addresses, I cannot get access to the internet from any of the computers through the router.

I have disabled DHCP on the router - but it still has its static IP address

If I can do this then it means that if the adsl router crashes in the future, the network can still function properly.

I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks
Ben

I've found the answer!!
....and it had to be a simple one that alluded me.
I set the gateway settings on the server and for any static IP addresses and it worked!

Next thing to look in to now is VPN... :p

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back