Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Intellisense in server-side Scripting

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBean

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I recently started a new job in which Visual Interdev 6 has been installed on NT with IIS4. I have a couple of problems:

Firstly, the intellisense feature does not appear to work in my server side scripting when I place coding in <%...%> tags and I cannot seem to find a property to enable this.

Secondly, I am unable to debug on the server. I have checked the copy of ASP.dll which has been installed from service packs 5 and 6. Any suggestions?

Are these two problems related?

I should explain that the ASP objects do not have Intellisense enabled. ADO recordsets that I create do display the intellisense.

ASP is a scripting language and, like all scripting languages, it can only access objects through the IDispatch Interface rather then the objects default interface. Essentially, this means that all objects in script are late bound and script code has no idea what the objects actual methods and attributes are. On every call to the object (at runtime) it has to ask the IDispatch interface for the DISPID of the methead or attribute that is being accessed. I would have to assume, that this is why the intellisense is not working when you are developing in ASP.
One other thing to remember . . . since script can only access the IDispatch interface, you will not be able to access objects that implement multiple interfaces. - Jeff Marler
(please note, that the page is under construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back