Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No fixed disks present

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebootd

Technical User
Sep 5, 2001
US
I recently ghosted an image from an older WD 6 gig hard drive that had win98 on it to another hard drive,and wanted to wipe it and reinstall windows 98 on it. In between ghosting what I wanted to save, and reinstalling, in the interim I installed NT4 on it and ran it on another machine for a few days. When I went to run fdisk to reinstall
win98 though, the volume label was something I hadn't seen before, all strange characters, and was unable to duplicate them (so I couldn't fdisk)...I tried formatting the hard drive to see if I could remove that volume label, and it let me format, and let me change the volume label to nothing. At that point then, the hard drive would not let me
reinstall windows until I re-partitioned, so when I ran fdisk again, I got the message: "No fixed disks present". I checked the BIOS; it detects the hard drive just fine. I tried running Ghost again, (with this HD slaved to the one with the saved image on it)...Ghost lists the hard drive and its specs, but also doesnt allow me to access it
(transfer to it.) I have been careful about settings on the hard drive itself: slave/master etc. I would appreciate any help, thanks.

You need to fdisk with that partition deleted. You might try with the NT, or with a late DOS, or try the Seagate ZAP, or one from WD. There is also a debug based zero fill program somewhere on the PC hardware forum. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back