Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No file format information found in registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

longlivegoku

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
We have a couple users that when they try to open up .jpeg files get this error message. I first noticed this happening when they tried to open .jpeg attachments in Outlook but then noticed this also happens with any .jpeg files on the computer. Anyone seen this or have an idea? My thought is that it is a profile issue because I can log into their computer and open the files fine.

Thanks,

Ed

Do you have a program associated with it? If not, double click on any jpg, and when it asks you what you want this associated with, pick a program that'll open them, such as photoshop.

longlivegoku,

If it is "*.jpeg" files that you want to open, be ware that there is a default handler for these, it's called Internet Explorer! But this can be easily changed, as rudeboyjeff indicated...

Try this:
1.) Double CLick the jpeg file attachment, and choose to "Save To Disk".
2.) Find a nice place to save the file, like "C:\TEMP".
3.) Navigate to c:\temp\*.jpeg, and click the file ONCE, to highlight it.
4.) Hold down the "SHIFT" key, and simultaneously right click the file.
5.) In the drop-down list, you'll see "OPEN WITH", (click on that).
6.) Now, you'll see what rudeboyjeff is talking about:
7.) Either choose a program from the list, or click the "Other" button, to navigate through local, or Network drives to find a program such as Photoshop, or "J View, or Vueprint Pro, or some other graphics viewing/editing program.
8.) Once you've made the selection you're happy with, click the "Always use this program to open this file type" checkbox.

Let Me Know!
[pc3]
Rich
prescot9@hotmail.com
Father, Geek, and MCP

Same problem is happenning to me also.
I don't think it is a problem with association of extention name.
Even after specifying correct program for JPG, the error message still appears.

I have also face the same problem: if u try to open it with Internet explorer then its working fine but what about the other user on the network they open these file without any association, they open these file with microsoft photo editor without any problem.

CAUSE -- The problem you are experiencing, is caused by insufficient permissions. Microsoft Photo Editor tries to access registry keys for which it requires permissions that your account lacks.
As a result, data to compose the File Of Type list it needs to open graphic files is not avaliable.
REMEDY -- Log on as administrator and start regedt32. Locate registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters. From the menubar, click Security and select Permissions. In the Name list, select Users. In the Permissions list, at line Full Control, check Allow. Click OK and exit.
REQUEST -- Let me know how my solution worked for you.

CAUSE -- The problem you are experiencing, is caused by insufficient permissions. Microsoft Photo Editor tries to access registry keys for which it requires permissions that your account lacks.
As a result, data to compose the File Of Type list it needs to open graphic files is not avaliable.
REMEDY -- Log on as administrator and start regedt32. Locate registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters. From the menubar, click Security and select Permissions. In the Name list, select Users. In the Permissions list, at line Full Control, check Allow. Click OK and exit.
REQUEST -- Let me know how my solution worked for you.

This problem is also occured when i try this by logging as an Administrator

Zhivago - Resolution worked like a charm - need to REGINI it now to all our rollouts.

WORKAROUND
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

WARNING: After you implement the following workaround, members of the Users group can change any subkeys and values for the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters
For Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 or Microsoft Windows 2000
Log on to Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0 by using an account that is a member of the administrators group.
Click Start and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedt32.exe and then click OK.
In the Registry Editor, select the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphic Filters
On the Security menu, click Permissions.
In the Registry Key Permissions dialog box, in the Name list, click Users.
In the Permissions list, under Allow, click to select Full Control.
Click OK.
On the Registry menu, click Exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back