Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no external links

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanbo

Programmer
Jun 6, 2003
GB
a website i'm making at the moment has a lot of midi files on it. i want to make sure that the only people downloading them, are people at my site. how can i stop external linking?

Configure the http server you are using to not serve those files unless they are requested from your domain. Maybe take the question over to Apache forum (or whatever it is you use to serve your pages)?

Jeff

As Jeff mentioned this is best done at the server level, but one thing to beware with whatever method you choose is the following.

If you check the referrer, what happens when someone is sending a fake referrer? If you get a referrer string of "Hidden" then your script would refuse that connection, even though they are making a legitimate request from your domain.

Opera allows you to block referral sending and so do many firewalls now. (Not sure exactly which ones) There was also talk a while back about IE adding this option in the future. Many people block referrer sending now so this can cause serious problems.

Hope this helps

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back