Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Ethernet Avaya 9608

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikie

Technical User
Apr 28, 2016
GH
Hello Guys,
I keep getting "No Ethernet" error message on one of the 9608 IP Phones.
I plugged it into the switch and it worked fine. However, the message is displayed when I plug the phone into any other port from my office.
I have tried using different ethernet cables.

What could be causing this?

Crap cabling, if it works on the switch direct and all you're doing is passing it through your cabling, then that's all it can be :)

Hmm
I can assure you it's not the cabling.

Usually cheap sockets don't fit well with booted patch leads/cables :)

Then, if all that's changing is the cabling in-between, what else can it be.....nothing :)

I would make sure pins 1,2 and 3,6 are correctly mapped/connected, that's what carry the data Tx and Rx :)

Then they wouldn't power up to be able to display anything, let alone "No Ethernet", think you mean switch too :)

Just had a similar issue at an install I did in Dusseldorf on Monday, set the phones up directly in the switch in the comms room then moved them to their respective locations and had issues with a couple of points, they would get ower and sometimes work, but would then drop off and say discover, a reboot would get them saying No ethernet, 10Mb connectivity or just count up DHCP. I swapped the cable at the phone end, swapped the cable at the switch end and even tried different phones and got a completely mixed bag of results. After a bit I realised that when I plugged the cable into the back of the phone it was a little loose and could be moved a couple of mm back and forth, when I pushed it all the way in the phone worked perfectly, when I pulled it back that mm or 2 it gave me the odd errors again. I think it was the cables they were using for the phone end as used different cables in the install in Berlin yesterday and no issues at all.

| ACSS SME |

@amriddle01
Yes, the pin out of the cable is correct and is mapped right.

@Telecomboy
It's a 48-port PoE switch. All PoE.

@joe2938
Yes I have plugged in other phones to the same user port, and they all work just fine.

@Pepp77
I have tried many cables. I don't think it's coming from there in this case.

Kikie

The message indicates the phone is getting power but cannot see any data connection to the phone
kikie said:
Yes I have plugged in other phones to the same user port, and they all work just fine.
Then you have a faulty phone, replace it

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

I have found the 96XX Ports to be very fragile. Using patch cords without the anti-snag boots seem to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back