Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No entry in .rhosts file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lom

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am trying to backup a w2k server, running Networker v611.
My backup server is a Solaris box running v61, and backups run on a dedicated network. I am getting the error:

* emfd2prddb1:C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc 1 retry attempted
* emfd2prddb1:C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc No entry for the user=root and machine=10.1.3.1 in .rhosts file
* emfd2prddb1:C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc 10/29/02 10:51:10 AM nsrexec: No entry for the user=root and machine=10.1.3.1 in .rhosts file
* emfd2prddb1:C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc Permission denied

I do not know anything about this .rhosts file. Has anyone ever come across this error before.

Tks

.rhosts is a file that is found on unix systems to control one method of remote access/execution. I can't imagine why Networker would try to rexec a program on a Windows machine using a unix technique; I don't imagine it's possible. I've never come across that particular error, but my first response would be to stop and restart the Networker client on the Windows machine.

try to add in remote access tab for the client settings:
root@[hostname] or root@[FQDN].
Must be ok.

Oooups,
i forgot to complain:

[hostname] is your UNIX Legato server.
for tests you can add only:
root@*
but it's security promblem.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.