Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No DNS-Files after Installation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosuc

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
DE
Hi folks,

I'm not new to UNIX, but new to SOLARIS (my boss just threw me in, expecting miracles). Here's my problem: After installing SOLARIS (5.8) I wnted to setup DNS and sendmail, but couldn't find the configuration-file (/etc/named.conf). Are there some more packages to be installed to get the config-files? I have checked CD1 and CD2 for something like
network- or DNS packages, but couldn't find anything.
By now I have all the users at my neck , waiting for the system to come online ( aaarrrgghh!)
So it would be very apreciated,if some of you knowledgeable Solaris-gurus could give me some hints.

Best regards in advance,

Gottfried Suchomski
Sysadmin

Thank you very much ken,
I will download the BIND-Package from the net.The rest shouldn't be a problem. But what's hard to believe is the fact, that an operatingsystem like SOLARIS doesn`t have a BIND-package included. Well, another new experience.

Packages, as suggested by Dnormant, can be useful if they don't rely on anything other than the operating system. However, if they are to interact with one another, the predetermined installation parameters which you have to take with a package can result in their not working together.

We tried packages for perl, openssl, openssh and gnupg recently and couldn't get everything to work in harmony. By getting the source and reading the INSTALL files and making sure the configuration was what we wanted, everything worked directly.

Bind on its own will probably work okay but if you want to compile it with openssl for dnssec, you may have a problem.

Another problem with packages is that they often lag behind the latest stable version, which means that the latest bug - and security hole - fixes are not included.

Just my $0.02

mvh/regards

James

o.k,

so if I want to use Solaris-Sw. only, what Package from the 2 CD's do I have to install ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back