Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no DNS, DHCP, WINS,or LMHOSTS??Simple file server reconfiguring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectechs

MIS
May 23, 2001
US
I recently was asked to help with an NT server that was set up by someone else. I have set up a few 2000 servers with excellent results, have helped maintain a few NT servers, but never set an NT up from scratch. They are having DNS/netbios issues (cannot search or see the server or other PC's from workstations by name). I took a look at the server yesterday. DNS server, DHCP server, WINS server - none are running (checked running services - only client DNS, DHCP). The server is set to use LMHosts look up - but no LMHost files on server or client. On the client machines there are static IP's. The DNS tab has HOST: server name DOMAIN: domain name, but no other entries. DNS is enabled. Wins is not enabled. From one PC I can ping other workstation names or IP's. I can ping the server IP, but not the name. If I do ping the name of the server it returns the workstation IP, and if I change the IP it returns the changed IP. IPConfig shows no DNS, just the static IP and subnet. Also, on some PC's the server name is "server name" and others it is "server-name" (with a dash). Leading me to believe someone really didn't know what they are doing. On the server TCP/IP settings the DNS tab also shows HOST: server-name Domain: domain name. The server name is truly without a dash.

The server is IP 10.10.10.1 the workstations 10.10.10.2 through 20ish. Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 on all.

What is the best thing to do here? The server is basically just used as a file/database server, but only 4 of 12 machines are actually utilizing it due to the problems they have with connecting. The one machine has mapped drives that work consistently, but this is the same one that cannot do a search for any other PC's nor the server. He said it worked for about 1 week. The client machine next to his has the same settings and network neighborhood is full.

The server has TCP/IP IPX and (I added)Netbeui. Some machines have IPX and TCP/IP some have Netbeui and TCP/IP or all 3. Of course, the client machines with NetBeui loading were getting nowhere without it loaded on the server.

The question is, what is the best way to straighten this out? I am thinking I want to add DNS (server) to the server and remove IPX all around for starters. Any hints on the DNS setup?

Thanks in advance

Do they connect to the web? If not, I'd say don't bother with DNS - stick with WINS (and DHCP, if you wish) - these services are easier to setup and once you set them up you can forget about them until server breaks.
Just a suggestion :-}

Good luck.

Are all the clients and Servers in the same workgroup?

Yes they are in the same workgroup. So I just install WINS server on the server and WINS client on the stations. Any anomolies or problems I should be looking for to occur? As you can see I am used to Windows 2000 where DNS has taken over. I will disable DNS on the workstations. No web access through the server currently, just a few dial-ups.

Thanks for the info.

One problem I see is the DNS inf on the client machine. Each computer needs a unique "Host" name and all computers on the Network (or subnet) need to use the same "Domain" suffix. The DNS Domain suffix is not the same as the NT Domain. Make sure all computers are using TCP/IP and that all of the TCP/IP addresses you use must be on the same subnet. ie. - 10.0.0.x. The 10.0.0 portion of the address represents the subnet. X represents the individual hosts. Multiple subnets are no problem in you understand routing or packet forwarding as NT refers to it. Since you are using DNS to resolve NetBIOS names, LMHosts is not necessary.

dubj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back