Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackiechan311

Technical User
Sep 2, 2002
US
New Problem, got an undefined p3 mobo with a processor installed, and decided to stick in some memory, boosting it to 196mb, then I added a video and sound card, as well as a bootable HDD. There is no display when i boot it. I stripped it to mobo, display, and HDD, and 1 stick of 64 mb ram, still no display. I have no other video cards /display cards to test it with. Any suggestions?

Does it beep or otherwise act like it's trying to boot up?

What OS is on the hard drive, if any?

Have you tried popping the CMOS battery to make the BIOS redectect everything again? Jennifer Sigman
1/2 of the IT staff (does that make me assistant manager?)

What was in it for memory and what did you add?
ie: pc100,pc133

Well, it had a 128 stick of PC133 in it, then I added the 64 so it totaled 196. When i stripped it, i left only the 64 meg of PC133. The bios option might work, is there a time limit for how long I should leave it out? Also, the stripped config had only one hard disk which has windows 2000 Pro installed on another computer.

PS. Mainegeek, where are you from in Maine?
I live in Orono by Bangor, but go to school in Bethel (private). Lemmee know

Did you try putting the orginal memory back in and see if it would boot?

Stealer

When you added the video card, was the original video
intergrated "on board" and perhaps you attached your monitor to it mistakenly? Also, your memory or one of
your new cards might not have been seated correctly.
You might want to just start out with your old memory
first. Make sure it is in the first slot. Keep the new cards
out until you can get it to boot correctly, then add the other memory. If it works, add the other cards one at a time
starting with the video. I live on the southern maine coast
near Kennebunkport.

Is this AGP or PCI video? If AGP video, check to see if the BIOS has a setting under PCI peripherals, and make sure video is properly set (AGP or PCI). Alos, if AGP, set the graphics aprerture to 4X the onboard video memory (on the graphics card).

Let me know if this helps,

edutech
(2/2 of the IT department - I get to be my own assistant!)

Is this AGP or PCI video? If AGP video, check to see if the BIOS has a setting under PCI peripherals, and make sure video is properly set (AGP or PCI). Also, if you are using an AGP card, set the graphics aprerture to 4 times the onboard video memory (on the graphics card), or as close to that as you can.

If this is a PCI video card, start by stripping out all PCI cards except the graphics card. Place this card in Slot 1 and reload the OS, motherboard support drivers, and/or video drivers from scratch. Now see if the monitor works. If it does not, check your monitor connection and/or cable or try another card. It would also be helpful to know if your monitor works on another system, so that you can discount simply having a bad monitor.

Hope this helps,

edutech
(2/2 of the IT department - I get to be my own assistant!)

thanks all, but nothing is working, it's pci, and there is no onboard video, only the pci card, and i have tried every tick of ram i own in every configuration I can think of. I may just send it to the doctor.

May be the motherboard grounding to the case. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Try testing it with just a boot disk in the floppy drive.

Could have the cable backwards or have the jumbers set wrong. You may also need to run a utility in the BIOS to set up the hard drive in the BIOS for tracks and sectors. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back