Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Disk with New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbbud

Technical User
Mar 20, 2009
US
I just bought a new Gateway and it didn't come with any start-up disk. Does anyone know how to make them?

MLBBUD

Hi,
Most brands have insructions on how to make one in the docs..At least, for one called a rescue disk.

But,
This site's discussion seems to indicate that Gateway uses something called discless media recovery solution.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Windows 7 can create a Startup Recovery Disk for you if you want one. However Turkbear has I think answered your real problem, it's like everything else when we don't know the answer, "read the manual" and see what it says about Recovery options.

If you type "Create a system repair disc" without quotes in the Help and Support program that will show you what I first mentioned.

Most Gateway laptops (i would assume desktops as well) have an icon on the desktop that starts the recovery cd making program.

On some Dells, hitting Ctrl+F11 at switch on will boot the laptop so that it is restored to the orginal "as it left the factory" state. Every thing you need is stored in hidden partition.

Maybe the Gateway has something similar?

Though if you have a HD failure, disks are better.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back