Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Dial Tone only at certain times it will detect

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannimal

Technical User
Mar 3, 2006
US
i just got this computer and the modem only detects the dial tone between the hours of 7pm and 6 am and then stops detecting it and says that there is no dial tone but there is

does nebody else have this probblem and can nebody help me with the solutuion??

update modem drivers and reinstall tcp/ip.

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Is it possible that you have voice mail messages during the other times that you have attempted to dial out? Telcos will frequently provide a stutter dial tone when a voice mail message is waiting, and sometimes a modem will not detect the stutter dial tone as dial tone.

As an alternative, you can configure the modem to ignore dial tone prior to dialing, but that leads to some different issues that you probably want to avoid if possible.

pansophic

BT also have a message system, which causes an intermitktent dial-tone. If this is the case, as Pansophic says, uncheck the "wait for dial tone before dialling" box in your modems settings.
The only problem I've found is that if the line is in use when your modem dials (eg if someone is on the phone) then they'll hear dialling. More of an annoyance than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back