Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Dial Tone from SupraExpress56i and Windows2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,
Can anyone help. My Diamond SupraExpress 56i internal modem worked fine under Windows 98. As soon as I rebuilt the machine with Windows 2000 professional as the OS the modem stopped working with "No dial tone" errors despite the fact that there is a dial tone and the line works fine.

It detects it as 'HCF 56K PCI Modem'. I can query the modem and get a response, it also dials if I uncheck the "wait for dial tone" box.... problem is I keep getting a "no dial tone" error despite the fact that there is one!!

I have searched around for solutions but nothing has worked so far.

I am in the UK and my regional settings are set to United Kingdom (and where under Win98) incase that makes a difference.

cheers
Andrew

Go get the Win2000 driver for it. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Hi, I'am in Italy and have the same modem and the same problem in W2k and Win Xp "No dial tone" error !!

If I use the X3 string in the modem registry it makes the call but don't makes connection

I try with Conexant, Gensoft56 Xp , Diamond driver and other HSF general drivers but the modem doesn't works !!

The line is Ok of course.

Hi All,
I've got a similar problem.
When I first power up my laptop I can connect to the web OK fist time.
However if I hang up my connection and try to re-connect I get no dial tone.
I then have to re-boot in order to get a diall tone again.

Any ideas??
(I'm running Microsoft 2000 Prof. and my modem is a SENS LT56IDW.)

Thanks in advance,
Hammy

I have the same problem. I have 2 56k modems that don't work in XP. The first is a Best Data modem that I had in my system under win2k. It worked fine under win2k, but in XP I can hear it pick up the line and I can hear the dial tone through the speaker, but after 10 seconds it stops and says there was no dial tone. I guess I must have been hearing something else through the speaker (yeah right.) I then borrowed a Diamond Supramax from a friend and got the same exact results. In both cases XP recognizes the cards and says everything is OK. I have tried everything. I unchecked the wait for dial tone box and that doesn't help either. I have tried different phone jacks. Both of these cards have a HCF chipset and I am afraid that is the problem I have downloaded all kinds of drivers, even xp hcf generic drivers. Nothing works. If anyone can figure this out I would love to hear the solution. Bhalbach@yahoo.com

Also I was able to get my old 28.8 external to work on xp but it is too slow.

I also have the Supra Max 56i modem in Win 98SE, I have not been able to get it to work. I also get a "no dial tone" message. I have updated drivers, the phone lines are ok. The diagnostics tests return a response. But, I cannot get it to dial out to connect to Internet. All my settings for the connection are correct also. I have tried a different modem and that one will not work either, although I get different error messages on that one. I would really like to get the SupraMax to work. Is there a setting somewhere that I may have missed? I really need some help on this one.

the no dial tone error is pretty common with XP the problem lies with its recognition of forgein dial tones
solution- uncheck wait for dial tone
in extra settings type ATX1(ignore dial tone)

I have the same problem as the first post with a connexant RH56D/SP-PCI modem I have got the drivers from the link Jim posted and they do not work. Is this a case of this modem not working with win2000( my os) no two ways about it?

Cheers

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back