Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Dial Tone following move to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutoff

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2001
CA
I've just arrived in Canada from the UK and have tried to connect to the ISP (aol) via modem. I have a Rockwell Chipset ISA Bus modem, purchased in the UK. I took the cable used in the UK off the back (which adapts the British telecom socket to the RJ-11 socket in the modem backplate, and used a standard Canadian RJ-11 to RJ-11 lead. I also changed all the settings in Windows to the relevant numbers. However, the modem continually reports 'no dialtone'. Plugging a telephone into the lead gives a dialtone. I do not have call waiting or any fancy services.

Have I made an error in assuming that the Canadian RJ-11 lead will work with the modem - do I need another adapter - or do I need to install another driver to get the modem to recognise the dialtone?

Any advice gratefully rcvd.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back