Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NO DHCP IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solutus

Technical User
Jun 28, 2002
US
Ok, on Windows XP, wireless network was working great. When I started messing with ZoneAlarm and WEP, then I lost my IP address on laptop. It varies between 169.254.xxx.xxx and 0.0.0.0. depending on what I am trying to do to fix it.

I have tried Microsoft KB 822123 and 299357 with no change.

I just put in a static IP, which works, and I have Excellent Wireless Connection....but I still get no internet connection - "Cannot Find Server" and wants me to Work Offline.

I have looked through the posts and it looks like a reinstall of WinXP is next, unless anyone else has steps to try.......again, I now have a static IP, but no internet connection.

0.0.0.0 is plain invalid.
169.254.xxx.xxx is the "I can't find a DHCP server so I'm going to make my IP address up" IP. It indicates a connectino failure (in this case between your PC and router).

Take it back a few stages:
[ul][li]uninstall zonealarm[/li][li]turn off WEP[/li][li]set to use DHCP[/li][/ul]

If this doesn't work, your IP stack may have become corrupted.
Try the winsock fix:
<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

hi,

try doing this :
2 reasons why you are getting invalid IP (169.254.xxx) is

1 - you have a typo on the WEP key you copied to the computer
64 bits / 10 char
128 bits / 26 char
2 - you are tuned in to a weak channel.

but usually it's No.1 (typo mistakes)

1.Disable Your WEP (Router configuration)/ Zone alarm also
2.Change Channel ( you could select 1,6 or 11)

check your connections again, verify your IP. see if you can get conencted (you should get connection)

now reapply your WEP settings and try your connecting

I work for a cable internet compnay and I see this all the time with ZoneAlarm. You need to go to ZoneAlarm website and print out the instructions to uninstall. It is complex and puts alot of files in your registry.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I am trying them out. To throw a wrench in it though, I was just at a client's office and one of their Windows XP laptops had the same problem but he was connected by wire to the router. He didn't have ZoneAlarm, or any firewall software.

I installed a wireless network, put in the PC card, and VOILA, it got an IP address and got onto the internet.......just enough time to download virus definitions, then it lost its connection and is back to 169.254.....

So, I am not sure it is just a firewall or WEP issue, but I am trying everything.

Sounds like you need to look to the DHCP server, or a network failure between you and it.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

How are you connecting to the intenet. I use a cable modem, and I had a real problem getting things working at first. If you are using a cable modem, you should set back to dhcp on your pc, re-set the modem and wep, re-boot all and see what happens. (FYI, if it's xp home, they are known for network problems.) Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
&quot;Give the laziest man the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it.&quot;

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

I fixed it!! I am using a cable modem. I had powered down the modem and router before but it didn't fix anything. Today, I reset the router to factory defaults and VOILA, instant IP address on all computers. I now know that if I WEP enable and then disable to reset the defaults....but the Winsockfix probably helped too.

Thanks to everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back