Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NO DB's will convert to Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

schlake

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2000
US
We're on Windows (and servers) 2000, and Office 2000 Pro.

I fell for all the promises that I could just open the 97db and accept the little suggested prompt to convert- NOT!!

I have tried every solution from technet (re-registering jet engine in registry) uninstalling, re-installing etc., but not one single database will convert. I get the same error when trying to OPEN or CONVERT or IMPORT - "cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application". The technet refers to this as being in version 97- but I get it in 2000.

I was able to import files from one database into a new 2000 database but although the tables and queries and forms work OK, the switchboard is gone and all the reports are available to select but when you choose one it generates and error that the object doesn't exist.

I have tried a dozen databases and all but the one will not even open to be imported. I have not successfully used the import tool at all in 2000, and at this point am convinced it does not work.

These DB's are very simple, most created with wizards and I will most likely just recreate them, but my concern is for the records, I need the records back. Yes I can open them in 97...,there is no hand coded VB in any of them, all system generated. I enabled DAO 3.6 libraries etc., but still could not get the reports back on the ONe db I was able to import objects from.

I am at a loss as to what to do at this point. The DBs were created on Win98 with Office 97. None of them rely on SQL server, and are mostly stand alone with the exception of one accessed by everyone- its a help desk app.

Any advisement is appreciated. At this point I'm considering giving everyone both versions. Its a pain to set up (I've got both on mine as a last resort) but I don't see any other way right now because I havn't got the time to tend to DB programming for at least another 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back