Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No client control of ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawkins

Technical User
May 25, 2003
AU
The network in our house comprises of three PCs, all running XP Pro, which share a dial-up connection on one of them through Internet Connection Sharing. I recently upgraded the CPU and motherboard on my PC (ICS client) and reinstalled XP Pro, as well as updating to SP1 (due to USB 2.0 driver problems.)

The problem I'm having is that despite the option be enabled on the host PC, I can't control the Internet Gateway connection on my client PC, as I was able to before the upgrade. If I boot up my PC while an internet connection is present on the host PC, everything works fine, I can access the net and the host connection shows up as an Internet Gateway in the network Connections menu. If a connection isn't present, or it drops out, the Internet Gateway icon disappears from the Network Connections menu, as opposed to the situation on the other client PC (and mine before the upgrade), where the Gateway icon changes to 'Disconnected', allowing the client PC user to double click and establish a connection on the host again.

What can be done to keep the Internet Gateway icon present, even when the host connection is disconnected, allowing the client PC control over the connection?

I am having the exact same problem. I'm wondering if anyone knows a solution. The only difference is that I don't get an "Internet Gateway" Icon on the network connections menu like Jawkins mentioned. I just have the Icon for my dial-up connection, which states either conneted or disconnected, and the fact that it is shared.
Then there is my regular LAN Icon. Nothing else changes where whether ICS is active or not.
But the problem remains: When the ICS host initiates a dial-up connection, all the of the clients can use the Internet access, all is fine. However when the ICS host is not already connected, the client can not "encourage" the host to dial. It simply fails to connect, even though the option "Establish a dialup connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet" is clearly checked.
All three PC's in question have XP Pro with all the service packs, Firewall is disabled on all.
Additional note: There's a totally seperate network in this building using the same dial-up connection, and using ICS, works perfectly. The only difference is that the clients are Windows ME.

ICS is fussy.

Please make sure you have followed all of Steve Winograd's advice here:
Then looked at the Troubleshooters available:

And you might need this excellent freeware tool:

Thank you bcastner. The RDU program did the trick. I tried the other options you mentioned to no avail.
But the "Remote Disconnection Utility" not only controls the disconnect, but the connect as well.

Great free software!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back